(06) Chaman Mahal, Islam Nagar
In north-easterly direction from Bhopal city, on the Bhopal Berasiya road, nearly 11 kms from Bhopal is the village Lambakheda; just 4 kms from this village is Islam Nagar. Islam Nagar was earlier called as Jagdishpur and it was the capital of the Dewra Rajputs. Dost Muhammad Khan, who was the founder of Bhopal city has tricked this place out from the Rajputs, and had it renamed as Islam Nagar. He also got constructed here a fort in the year 1715.
Before the construction of the Bhopal fort, from 1715 to 1722, Islam Nagar was the capital of the province of Dost Muhammad Khan. Even during the reign of Nawabs in Bhopal, the residential palaces of the royal families were at Islam Nagar. The tombs of Nawab Yaar Muhammad Khan and Nawab Gaus Muhammad Khan are both at the Islam Nagar Fort.
The Gaur Mahal, Parkota Fort, the royal bathhouse of Chaman palacevand the two-storey Queens Palace are sites worth visiting. There is a beautifully laid out garden central to Chaman Mahal, and its terraces are a beautiful example of both Hindu and Muslim architecture. The monuments at Islam Nagar are preserved by the State Archaeological Department.
(07) Dost Muhammad Khan and Fateh Bibi ka Makbara, Bhopal
The tomb of Sardar Dost Muhammad Khan, the establisher of Bhopal province and his wife Fateh Bibi is situated in the campus of Gandhi Medical College. Their son Yaar Muhammad Khan built this tomb in the year 1742 A.D. Built on a high square platform, this tomb is enclosed by 12 feet high walls on all the sides.
It has minarets on all the four corners of this wall, and has gateways on three sides. Built on 8 pillars, the tomb is open from all the sides and has a dome on its top. In every direction, between two pillars are arches of 10 teeth. Around the main tomb, there is a latticed wall of marble. Behind this tomb, beyond a 1 meter long marble latticed façade is the tomb of his wife Fateh Bibi. Beneath the platform, is engraved her name ‘Fateh Bibi’ in Arabic script.
(10) Gulshan – e – alam (Golghar), Bhopal
Situated in Shahjahanabad area of the city near Pari market, this building is more popularly called as Golghar. It had been constructed by Nawab Shahjahan Begum during her reign, as a zoological park, and many species of birds and animals had been kept here. Later on, this building was also used as the State Police Headquarters.
(12) Central Library (Edward Museum Building), Bhopal
This magnificent building of red stone, located near Lady Hospital in the city is among one of the oldest and beautiful buildings of Bhopal. The erstwhile Nawab of Bhopal, Nawab Sultan Jahan Begum had built the Edward Museum Building in 1908 to display the various gifts and artifacts presented to the royal family on various occasions.
The Museum had been inaugurated in 1909 by the Viceroy of India, Lord Minto but due to lack of maintenance, had to closed down during the royal reign itself. In 1955, Maulana Azad Central Library was established in this building with nearly 60,000 books and manuscripts in the English, Hindi, Urdu, Arabic, Persian and Sanskrit languages.
(14) Sadar Manzil, Bhopal
The erstwhile ruler of Bhopal province Nawab Shahjahan Begum had got started the construction of this magnificent building in 1898 A.D. In 1901, after the death of Nawab Shahjahan Begum, her only daughter Nawab Sultanjahan Begum after ascending the throne of the province converted this building into the royal durbar hall.
The architecture of this building is worth seeing and is quite similar to the diwan-e-khaas at the Delhi Red Fort. Many British Viceroys and after Indian independence, many prominent national leaders have visited this magnificent building.
In the year 1953, during the Chief Ministership of late Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma, the Bhopal City Municipal was started in its Duarbar Hall. Presently, the City Municipal Board of Bhopal city is established in the Sadar Manzil.
(15) Moti Mahal, Bhopal
West to Iqbal Maidan in the city is a huge two-storey building known as Moti Mahal. It had been built by the ruler of Bhopal province Nawab Kudasiya Begum and was the first darbar hall of the province.