(112) Chhatri of Bhawani Singh, Datia
Bhawani Singh became the ruler of Datia in 1857 A.D. The credit of modern progress of Datia goes to him. He was a patron of scholars and wresterls. Gama Pahalwan became the world champion with his support. Maharaja Bhawani Singh died in 1907 A.D. and his son Govind Singh succeeded him. Govind Singh built the Parachute.
Raised on a square platform the Parachute has a square mandapa with a rectangular corridor on all four sides. There are three arched gates on each side of the mandapa and the corridor. The ceiling of the square mandapa is octagonal and the top is round. This portion has paintings representing floral and leaf patterns and figures of animals and birds. The ceiling is high and its exterior is on the jangha. There is an ambulatory passage above the corridor. On each side there is a palanquin-shaped structure above the arched an oriels in the exterior. The dome is decorated in Bundeli style and small Parachute are built on all four corners. The monument is protected by the department.
(113) Chhatri of Maharaja Indrajit, Datia
Maharaja Indrajit Bundela ruled over Datia from 1736 A.D. to 1762 A.D. He succeeded his grand father. Maharaja Indrajit died in 1762 A.D. at Datia. His son and successor Shatrujit ( 1762-1801 A.D.) built the Parachute.
The Parachute is built on a platform in the center of a square courtyard. It has three arched open gates. The dome-shaped a peak is decorated with lotus. There is four other small Parachute on all sides, which are octagonal with oval-shaped domes. Made of bricks and lime the Parachute has ten steps.
(114) Chhatri of Shubhkaran, Datia
Shubhkaran was the son of Bhagwanrai Bundela, the founder of Datia State. The former became the ruler of Datia in 1640 A.D. He sided with Aurangzeb in his struggle of succession with his brothers. As a reward for this he received a five thousand Mansab and Subedari of Bundelkhand. Contemporary writers Farishta and Bernier have also made a mention of Shubhkaran’s bravery. Shubhkaran built the Karan Sagar lake and Rajgarh Palace in Datia city. He died in 1678 A.D.
The Parachute of Shubhkaran was built by his son Dalpatrai Bundela on the bank of Karan Sagar lake. Made of bricks and lime the Parachute is raised on a square plan. There is a sabhagriha in the centre with an ambulatory path on all four sides. The sabhagriha has four gates. The high a peak is of Nagara style. The Parachute of his spouse is located nearby. The monument is protected by the state Archaeology department.
(115) Chhatri of Raja Parikshat, Datia
Maharaja Parikshat became the ruler of Datia in 1801 A.D. and died in 1839 A.D. at the age of 70. He built the rampart in 1831 A.D. He maintained cordial relations with the British. Datia’s ruler greatly helped Col. Sleeman in his expedition against the thugs.
The Parachute of Raja Parikshat was built by his adoptive son and successor Raja Vijay Bahadur. Built on a square plan in the center of a square courtyard the ground plan of the Parachute consists of a square sabha mandapa and a rectangular corridor on all four sides. The elevation consists of a high ceiling of the mandapa and a dome with huge semi-circular arches built on all four sides and a palanquin-like structure above it. The dome of the a peak is square with a round top above it. The structure of dome has local features with trabeats. There is a ventilator with a polygonal arch in the vedika on the corridor.
The interior walls and ceiling of the Parachute are decorated with beautiful paintings depicting Shrimad Bhagwad gita with its title , picture of Datia’s rulers with their names, figures of animals and birds, the Bundela army, Mughal chieftains with their names, Shiva-Parvati, Raslila etc. The paintings represent the Datia school of the bundeli kalam. The monument is protected by M.P. Archaeology, Archives and Museums Department.
(116) Shiva Temple, Khairi
The temple is located in the centre of a large compound. Its walls are ruined but the entrance gates on two sides are in a good shape. There are rooms on both sides of the temple. Made of bricks and lime the temple was built by Orchha’s ruler Veer Singh in 1601 A.D. At that time he was jagirdar of Badauni.
The east-facing temple has a rectangular garbha-griha and mandapa. The garbha-griha enshrines a Shivlinga. The walls and ceiling of the mandapa have beautiful paintings depicting the events of Shri Krishna’s life, soldiers and figures of animals and birds.
(117) Surai, Bhander
Bhander a tahsil headquarter of Datia district situated 30 kms far from Datia. It was a part of Mandu saltanat during 15-16th century A.D. But in 17th century Bundela ruler of Orchha annexed it in their empire. In 1748 Scindia occupied Bhander and annexed in his state.
There is a beautiful monument called Surai located in Sikandar muhalla. It is a M.P. state protected monument. Origionally this monument was a mosque, having four minarets on each directions. Two minarets had demolished among four. There is a beautiful gateway having three storeyed constructions. Exterior part is decorated with multi foiled arches in valconies and kiosles. A chajja is supparted with a series of todi above chhatri shaped valconies. Minarets are very hight and decorated with hexagonal viosle at top above inverted lotus uase.
(120) Ancient Baori, Sirol
The baori (step-well) was built by Maharaj Veer Singh Bundela (1605-1627 A.D.) The huge two-storeyed domes on the rooms on both sides of the entrance gate give it the look of a palace. The trabeated domes are of Bundela style, the use of which began at the time of Orchha’s ruler Veer Singh.
The step-well is large with a wide well to west and steps are to east. The walls, arches, gates and decoration are a fine example of Bundela style. The rampart has a vast gate to east and its huge domes give it the appearance of a palace.
There is a small structure called Mahal in the village, which is under the possession of the local people.
(119) Baori, Chandewa
The large step-well is a fine example of the early 16th century. Bundela architecture. Arches, lotus bud-shaped brackets are built in it. From the use of ancient architectural blocks on a large scale in the step-well it appears that the original step-well belonged to the 11-12th century A.D. which was turned into a two-storeyed structure in the 16th century A.D. It has corridors and rooms built all around, which were used by traders for rest. Orchha’s ruler Veer Singh repaired it in 1618 A.D.
The rectangular step-well has a large well to the south with verandahs and rooms pierced by arched gates on all sides. To east there are steps in three stages, leading to the upper portion. Above it there is a vast two-storeyed entrance gate in front of the small periphery wall. Rooms exist on both sides and above. At present the step-well is under the possession of local people.
(122) Baori, Khadaua (Kunja Devi Temple)
The step-well was built by Hardaul’s sister Kunjawati. Maharaja Veer Singh married his sister Kunja to Berchha’s Paramara Jagirdar. Khadaua and Pachokhora were gifted as dowry. The step-well has steps to north side in four stages. There are two-storeyed verandahs on both sides of the step-well. The entrance gate is high with structures of an oriels on both sides. The inn-like construction in the step-well was meant for the comfort of travellers.