English हिंदी
Teekamgarh

(249) Barud Khana, Orchha

gwaliar-img107Located to south of the fort’s rampart the monument can be attributed to the 17th century A.D.on the basis of style. Its plan consists of rectangular rooms on all four sides of its square courtyard. The rooms to west are now ruined. The main entrance is to north, which opens into a long hallway. Its ceilings are chaityakar and the roofs are sloping. Ammunition was stored in this building that is why it is called Barud Khana. At present the Madhya Pradesh Adiwasi Kala Academy has set up a Saket Ramayana Museum in this building.


 


 


 

(250-a) Chhatri of Maharaja Prithvi Singh, Orchha

gwaliar-img108After the death of Maharaja Udot Singh in1736 A.D. his son Maharaja Prithvi Singh succeded him on the throne of Orchha.Maharaja Prithvi Singh founded Prithvi Nagar and got the Laxmi Mandir renovated and paintings executed. After his death in 1752 A.D. his grand son Sawant Singh built his cenotaph.

The ground plan of the cenotaph consists of a square garbha-griha and a rectangular mandapa. The garbha-griha has arched oriels. The arches are polygonal with diagonal ventilator above them. The mandapa has a three- arched gate and the ceiling is chaityakar. The elevation of the east-facing cenotaph is a two-storeyed structure. The first story is crowned with a dome and there are small chatris with shikhars of Nagara style at all four corners.The roofs above the oriels are gajprishthakar. The roofs of oriels of the walls of the ambulatory path are pananquin-shaped. The cenotaph is built in Bundela School of architecture.


 

(250-b) Chhatri of Raja Bharti Chandra, Orchha

gwaliar-img109The first Bundela ruler of Orchha, Raja Bharti Chandra( 1531-1554 A.D.) died in 1554 A.D. The cenotaph was built during the period of Raja Madhukar Shah (1554-1592 A.D.) From architectural point of views the cenotaph seems to have been built in two phases. The first phase was built in the 16th century A.D. Raised on a square platform the cenotaph has a square garbha-griha with a rectangular corridor on all sides, which is divided in the form of square rooms at the corners. The roof of the garbha-griha is flat, but dome-shaped shikhars were added in the 17th centuryA. D. Beautiful paintings were executed below the balcony. The southern and eastern walls below the balcony of the central dome have inscriptions of 1735, 1732 and 1740 V.S. The cenotaph is a prime example of the architecture of Orchha.


 


 


 

(250-c) Chhatri of Maharaja Madhukar Shah, Orchha

gwaliar-img110Maharaja Madhukar Shah (2554-1592 A.D.) was the second ruler of Orchha. He was not only a religious person but also a brave and bold ruler. The Chaturbhuj temple and Deewan-e-Am of the Raj Mahal were built by Madhukar Shah. After the death of Madhukar Shah, the construction of this cenotaph was started during the reign of Rama Ram Shah (1592-1605 A.D.) but the upper portion was completed by Veer Singh. The cenotaph was built in temple style of architecture. Its ground plan constists of garbha-griha, antaral and mandapa, but the elevation consists of vedibandh, jngha and shikhar of Nagara style. Small structures of shikhar are built at all four corners of the shikhar. Marble sculptures of Maharaja Madhukar Shah and his wife Ganesh Kunwari are attached to the an oriels of the sidewalls of the garbha-griha.


 


 


 

(250-d) Chhatri of Pahar Singh, Orchha

gwaliar-img111Situated in southeast corner of the northern portion of the group of Chhatris on the bank of Betwa river the cenotaph of Pahar Singh represents a developed stage of Bundela cenotaph architecture. Orchha’s ruler Raja Pahar Singh (1641-1663 A.D.) was the son of Maharaja Veer Singh and younger brother of Maharaja Jujhar Singh. After his death his son and successor Raja Sujan Singh (1663-1672 A.D.) built this cenotaph.

The ground plan of the cenotaph consists of a square garbha-griha on a square platform with a verandah on all sides having an arched gate. The garbha-griha is of sarvatobhadra style. Its exterior portion shows jangha and chhajji on the third floor. The three-storeyed structure is crowned with a shikhar of Nagara style. At the corners there exist square cells crowned with domes. The domes and Nagara shikhar are variously decorated representing integrated Bundela style.


 


 


 

(250-e) Chhatri of Maharaja Veer Singh, Orchha

gwaliar-img112Maharaja Veer Singh Bundela (1605-1627 A.D.) was the most illustrious ruler of Orchha. His period is described as golden period in the history of Bundela dynasty. A large number of buildings were constructed and Bundela architecture flourished during this period.

The cenotaph was built by Maharaja Veer Singh’s elder son Maharaja Jujhar Singh (1627-1634 A.D.) but due to political instability its shikhar could not be completed. The three-storeyed grand cenotaph is built on a square plan on a square platform. The central square garbha- griha has corridors and arched gates on all four sides. In the exteior plan there are rows of niches and a balcony based on todis. Although the shikhar is incomplete, it clearly reflects panchayatan plan.


 


 


 

(250-f) Chhatri of Raja Sujan Singh, Orchha

gwaliar-img113Maharaja Sujan Singh (1663-1672 A.D.) died in 1672 A.D. His younger brother and successor Raja Indramani (1672-1675 A.D.) started construction of the cenotaph, which his son Raja Jaswant Singh (1675-1684 A.D.) completed.

The cenotaph is situated in northwest corner of the courtyard enclosed by a compound wall. The structure represents a developed stage of Bundela chhatri architecture. The ground plan of the cenotaph is built on a square platform. At the center exists a square garbha-griha with verandahs on all four sides having arched gates. At the corners there are square cells. The central garbha-griha is of sarvatobhadra style with entrance gates on all four sides. Its ceiling is high and its exterior shows jangha and a balconyon the third floor. The three-storyed structure is crowned with a shikhar of Nagara style. At the corners exist square cells crowned with domes. The cenotaph is an important heritage of Bundela architecture.


 


 


 

(250-g) Chhatri of Maharaja Indramani, Orchha

gwaliar-img114Maharaja Sujan Singh was issuless. After his death his younger brother Indramani succeded him on the throne of Orchha. Maharaja Indramani (1672-1675 A.D.) was succeded by his son Jaswant Singh (1675-1684 A.D.) who built the cenotaph.

Situated in southwestern corner of the enclosed premises the cenotaph has a square garbha-griha with a verandah on all four sides having three arched gates on each side. The garbha-griha is of sarvatobhadra style that means it has entrance gates on all four sides. The similar structure exists on the first and second floor. At the corners there are square cells crowned with domes and at the center exists a shikhar of Nagara style. The central huge shikhar and the domes on all sides are of panchayatan style. The outer niches, arched gates, lotus decoration, padma kalash and other ornamentations represent an advanced statge of Bundela architecture of the 17th century A.D.


 


 


 

(250-h) Chhatri of Maharaja Jaswant Singh, Orchha

gwaliar-img115Maharaja Jaswant Singh ruled over Orchha from 1675 A.D. to 1684 A.D. He received Khillat from Mughal emperor Aurangzeb in 1740 V.S.(1683 A.D.) and died in 1741 V.S.( 1684 A.D.) The cenotaph was built by Maharani Amar Kunwari.

Covered by a rampart the cenotaph is located in northeast corner in the premises and its ground plan is square. In the center there exists a sarvatobhadra garbha-griha with rectangular verhandahs on all sides having three arched gates on all sides. The elevation consists of a three-storyed structure of cenotaph. The exterior plan of the third floor consists of jangha portin of the shikhar of Nagara style and square cells at all corners crowned with domes. The decoration of Nagara shikhar and domes, padma kalash, niches and ornamentation of arched gates represent the Bundela style. The central Nagara shikhar and the domes at all four corners are of panchayatan style.


 


 


 

(250-i)Chhatri of Maharaja Bhagwant Singh, Orchha

gwaliar-img116Maharaja Jaswant Singh died in 1684 A.D. and his minor son Bhagwant Singh succeded him. Raja Bhagwant Singh ruled from 1684 to 1689 A.D. under the patronage of his grand mother Rani Amar Kunwari. After his premature death Rani Amar Kunwri , the wife of Maharaja Indramani) adopted Udot Singh who was the Jagairdar of Bangaon, belonging to the fourth generation of Hardaul.Udot Singh built the cenotaph in 1689 A.D.

The cenotaph is located in the east and center of the premises covered by a rampart. The ground plan of the cenotaph is square. In the center there exists the sarvatobhadra square garbha-griha with a verandah having three arched gates on all sides. Each corner has a square cell, which open into the verandah on both sides. The huge shikhar of Nagara style in the center on the upper portin of the three-storeyed cenotaph and the domes crowning the square cells at the corners represent panchayatan style. There is a balcony and jangha portion below thecentral shikhar of Nagara style. The decoration of domes, shikhar, an oriels, niches and gates are of Bundela style.


 


 


 

(250-j) Chhatri of Maharaja Sawant Singh, Orchha

gwaliar-img117Pooran Singh, the son of Maharaja Prithvi Singh (1736-1752 A.D.) died while hunting a tiger. His son Sawant Singh succeded his grant father (Maharaja Prithvi Singh) in 1752 A.D. Sawant Singh ruled till 1765 A.D. Mughal emperor Shah Alam, during his visit to Orchha, conferred the title of “ Mahendra” on Maharaja Sawant Singh. After the death of Sawant Singh in 1765 A.D. his son Hate Singh (1765-1768 A.D.) built this cenotaph.

Located in southeast corner of the premises covered by a rampart this cenotaph is different from others in size and type. In the ground plan the cenotaph is square. The garbha-griha in the center is square with decorated corridor on all sides. The shikhar, domes, small chhatris and paintings are a fine example of Bundela art and architecture.


 


 


 

(252) Chaturbhuj Temple, Orchha

gwaliar-img118The Chaturbhuj temple is an important monument from the the historical and archaeological point of view. The construction of the temple was started by Maharaja Madhukar Shah (1554-1592 A.D.) in 1574 A.D. Maharani Ganesh Kunwari wanted to instal the idol of Lord Rama in this temple but its construction could not be completed due to Mughal invasion on western Bundelkhand and death of prince Horaldev. Therefore, the queen installed the idol in her own palace. The second phase of the temple was completed by Maharaja Veer Singh (1605-1627 A.D.).

This most enormous temple of Orchha is raised on a high plinth and its ground plan consists of garbha-griha, antaral, and ardha-mandapa. There are shikhars of Nagara style on the garbha-griha and the cells built at all corners of it. The mandapa is crowned with a dome-shaped shikhar. The construction of second phase of this temple, made of bricks and lime, is an important example of architectural perfection of Bundela style.


 


 


 

*(253) Kothi of Himma Hamir (Dauji ki Kothi ke peeche Teen Kothiyaan), Orchha

gwaliar-img119The enormous kothi is located to south of the Kothi of Dauji in the fort premises. It is called Kothi of Himma Hamir i.e. Himmat Singh Hamir. He was the son of Champatrai Badgujar, a Samant of Maharaja Veer Singh (1605-1627 A.D.) Maharaja Veer Singh had built Kothis in the fort premises for his close associates including Balwant Daua, Champatrai, Bakasrai Pradhan, Mukutmani Gaur and Keshavrai. This kothi probably belongs to Champatrai Badgujar and Himmat Singh Hamir might have been his son.

The plan of the kothi consists of an outer courtyard and three inner courtyards. The spacious Dalan to west of the outer courtyard is based on pillars. There are two rooms to the north. The inner courtyard to the north is now totally ruined. The compound to the east has rectangular rooms and verandah on all sides of the courtyard. The compound to the south also has rooms on all sides of the courtyard. The entanace is a polygonal structure with arches and decoration. The entire kothi is an important heritage of Bundeli architecture of the 17th century A.D. Recent excavations during the restoration work led to the discovery of enormous water jars and terracolta toys from the kothi which are displayed in the museum at Orchha.


 


 


 

(254) Fasiyane Ki Haveli or Vaidya ki Haveli, Orchha

gwaliar-img120Only three-storeyed entrance gate of the Kothi survives. Originally, the haveli seems to have been built in the 17th century A.D. The hallway of the entrance gate below is rectangular and the upper two stories have three ventilators each with arch3ed gates. It’s a balcony is based on a todi of lotus petals and its stone flooring is damaged. The roof of the entrance gate is gajprishthakar with a hallway having arched ways to the right, which is a common feature in almost all havelis. The inner courtyard had rectangular long verandahs and rooms all around. Only southern walls now remain. It is said that this was the residence of the Vaidya or the royal physician of the orchha rulers.


 


 


 

(255) Garh Kudar, Kudar

gwaliar-img121The Kudar fort was built by Khet Singh Khangar in the first half of the 12th century A.D. but Chandela ruler Parmardidev captured it in 1182 A.D. and appointed Shia Paramara as its Kiledar. After the downfall of the Chandelas, Khoob Singh Khangar occupied the fort. In 1257 A.D. Sohanpal Bundela defeated Hurmat Singh Khangar and occupied the fort. It became the first capital of the Bundela dynasty. The Bundela rulers included Sohanpal, Sahajendra, Nanakdev, Prithviraj, Ran Singh, Ramchandra, Medini Pal, Arjun Dev, Malkhan Singh and Rudra Pratap. In 1531 A.D. Rudra Pratap shifted the capital to Orchha.

There exists a three-storeyed palace on the top of a hillock surrounded by the rampart of the fort. It was built by the Bundelas in three phases. The first phase was built in the 13th century A.D.and the last phase in the 17th century A.D. Built on a square plan the palace has a spacious courtyard over the basement surrounded by rectangular ruooms and a verandah. The brackets, arches and Hindola arches of this palace are of Rajput style while dome-shaped small chhatris and palanquin-shaped roofs represent the Bundela architecture of the 17th century A.D.


 


 


 

(257) Gosain Ka Math, Orchha

gwaliar-img122This building is situated opposite Phool Bagh and is called Gosain Ka Math, which suggests that it was a ‘math’ where saits and monks used to stay. On the basis of style the building can be ascribed to the 17th century A.D. The arches, small gates, exterior walls and chaityakar shape of the roofs of the separate rooms are of Bundela school of architecture. However, the building has no special feature pertaining to style. Pointed arches were in vogue in Orchha in the 16th century A.D. The exterior walls are strong. Entire building is made of stone, bricks and lime.


 


 


 

(258) Hammamkhana, Orchha

gwaliar-img123The Hammamkhana was built by Maharaja Veer Singh in 1606 A.D. as part of the prepartions for arrival of Mughal emperor Jehangir. Built on Persian concept the plan of the Hammamkhana consists of rooms on both sides of the verandah with three arched gates, an octagonal hallway in the center inside. The royal hammam is located to the east south of this hallway. There is a decorated water pool on one side of the spacious rectangular room and a platform on the other side of it. The interior is decorated in typical Mughal style. It has ventilator to allow natural light in.


 


 


 

(261) Palace of Deewan(Hathi Sav Mahal), Orchha

gwaliar-img124The palace is located to south of the Chaturbhuj temple behind Sitamarhi palace. The palace of Deewan was built during the perid of Maharaja Veer Singh (1605-1627 A.D.) Veer Singh’s brother-in-law Arjun Singh Dhandhera lived in it. Arjun Singh was Deewan of Maharaja Veer Singh and Jagirdar of Shahabad.

Although the palace is damaged, its plan is clear. The two-storeyed entrance gate is to the north. The courtyard had only a single rectgangular structure, the western portion of which is ruined. The two-storeyed structure in the southern corner has a dome of Bundela style. Remaining domes are ruined. The roof of eastern gate is palanquin-shaped.


 


 


 

(262) Jehangir Palace, Orchha

gwaliar-img125Originally, the construction of Jehangir Palace had begun in the 16th century A.D. but Veer Singh Bundela completed it before arrival of Jehangir in 1606 A.D. and the upper portion was decorated in 1618 A.D. The palace was named after Jehangir as a mark of respect to the Mughal Emperor. The square-shaped palace has a bastion at each corner crowned by sexagonal chhatris. The chhajjas of the first floor are based on peahen shaped todis having figures of elephant carved on them. Hindola arched gate and inverted lotus structure representy Rajput school of architecture whereas in the upper portion the domes and decorated octagonal and lotus strudctures on the chhatris are example of Bundela architecturte. The interior decoration of the rooms of the palace, paintings and exterior decoration exemplify a synthesis of different styles of architecture, which was common in medieval architecture.


 


 


 

(263) Palace of Jujhar Singh, Orchha

gwaliar-img126The palace was built by Orchha's ruler Veer Singh Bundela. He built Nau Chouwky Mahals i.e. palace of nine courtyards. The eldest son of Maharaja Veer Singh (1605-1627 A.D.), Jujhar Singh lived in this palace who ruled over Orchha from 1627 to 1634 A.D.

The rectangular palace is a three- storeyed structure with a special hall and a rectangular room on the ground floor. The top portion consists of three square rooms capped with dome-shaped shikhars. The trebeated domes have inverted lotus carved on them. Above it exists a lotus kalash. The palace of Bundela style is a significant example of Bundela School of architecture.


 


 


 

(264) Kalyanrai Temple, Orchha

gwaliar-img127The temple was built by Kalyanrai in 1738 A.D. during the reign of Maharaja Prithvi Singh. The idols of Lord Krishna and Radha were installed in 1795 V.S. here, which are no more in the temple.

The ground plan of the east-facing temple consists of garbha-griha, antaral and mandapa. The elevation plan consists of vedibandh, jangha and shikhar of Nagara style. The exterior plan has jangha shikhar of pancharathi style. The shikhar has urishringas. The garbha-griha is square and its walls have gawakshas and niches. The doorframes of the gate of antaral and the garbha- griha are made of stone. The ceiling of the mandapa is chaityakar. The ceilings of the garbha-griha and antaral have lotus decoration.


 


 


 

**** Kothi of Bakasrai Pradhan, Orchha

gwaliar-img128The vestiges of a ruined Kothi are lying near the eastern mini gate of the rampart of the fort of Orchha. Only walls of a two-storeyed gate and palanquin-like roof structure now survive. The Kothi is said to be of Bakasrai Pradhan, a military officer of Maharaja Veer Singh (1605-1627 A.D) Veer Singh was assisted by Bakasrai against the Mughals at the time he was jagirdar of Bdauni.Veer Singh got kothis built in the premises of the fort for those who helped him get the throne of Orchha as for well as important ministers.The remaining gate of the kothi is arched flanked by structures of bloomed lotuses. The frame is made of red stone structure .Its brackets are inverted and resemble lotus petals. There were verandahs and rectangular rooms around the inner courtyard of this east-facing Kothi, which are now in a state of ruin. The decoration of the surving gate, ventilator and palanquin-like roof are important examples of the heritage of the Bundela style of 17the A.D.


 


 


 

**** Kothi of Barelal, Orchha

gwaliar-img129Two Brahmins namely Barelal and Gorelal lived in this building located in Vyaspura. The elder brother Gorelal was a gunman in the Bundela army and the younger one was a minor. After the death of Gorelal in a battle the younger brother Barelal and the wife of Gorelal took shelter in this building. Local people called it Devar-Bhabhi Ki Haveli or Bhutia (possessed) Haveli.

The entrance to the building is north facing and ruins of rooms are lying on both sides of the courtyard and a two-storeyed room in the west is in a fairly good condition. The jambs of the gateway are made of red sandstone. The cells are in the shape of lotus petals. The exterior has polygonal arches, having embellishements on both sides. The Kothi is an important heritage of Bundela architeccture of 17th century A.D.


 


 


 

*** Haveli of Kriparam Gaur, Orchha

gwaliar-img130The Haveli of Kriparam Gaur, a principal noble of Maharaja Veer Singh Bundela, is situtated to north of the cenotaph of Madhukar Shah at Vyaspura. Veer Singh carried successful expeditions against the Mughals from Barauni with the cooperation of Kriparam Gaur. Now only gateway and the remains of the enterior compound of the Haveli are available. The exterior of the two-storeyed gate is arched and the inner doorframe having brackets is of Rajput style. There are three arched ventilator on the first floor of the entrance gate. The roof is gajaprathakar and the ceiling is chaityakar. The entrance gate is made of bricks and lime.

There is the main courtyard about 120 feet inside the entrance gate. The square courtyard is srrounded by rectangular cells and verandah, which are all but ruined.


 


 


 

(266) Laxami Temple, Orchha

gwaliar-img131The Laxami temple was built by Raja Veer Singh in 1622 A.D. and Raja Prithvi Singh added to it in 1793 A.D. The triangular temple is built on a square courtyard. Polygonal starred bastions are built at the corners of the temple’s rampart. The entrance gate has been built in one of them. Made of bricks and lime the temple resembles a fortress. Its shikhar is high and octagonal which looks like a minaret. The walls of the galleries, temple and the ceiling are decorated with beautiful paintings depicting various episodes of the Ramayana, Shrimadbhahvat Gita as well as an unique painting depicting the war betness the Rani of Jhansi and the British during 1857. The style of these paintings developed in Bundelkhand region from the 17th century A.D. to the 19th century A.D.


 


 


 

(267) Vallabh Temple, Orchha

gwaliar-img132The temple is situated near southern gate of the rampart of the fort. There once existed the house of Pujari Purushottam Das near it. Now only walls of this house are available. On the basis of style the temple seems to have been built in the 17th century A.D. Its plan constists of a small square two-storeyed garbha-griha having entrance gates on three sides. There is a flight of steps on both sides of the gate leading to the upper story. The dome-shaped ceiling has four ventilator and there are mini chhatris at the corners. The central dome has an inverted lotus carved on it. Outside, there are bloomed lotus and vertical row of niches carved on both sides of the arched gate.


 


 


 

(268) None ju Ki Haveli, Orchha

gwaliar-img133The haveli is situated behind the rest house of the Irrigation Department on Orchha by-pass road. Noneshah Badgujar, a chieftain of Maharaja Veer Singh Dev Bundela, built the haveli for this own residence.

This square-shaped building faces east. The roof of this three-storeyed structure resembles a palanquin. The polygonal arches of the entrance gate and the ventilator are built in pure Bundela style. The upper roof resembles a palanquin. There is a a yard on the left of the entrance gate. The courtyard of the haveli is surrounded by rectangular chambers and verandah. There is a bastion like structure at the corner and only its western portion remains. The eastern and southern portions of the Kothi are in a state of disrepair. The Kothi is an important heritage of the Bundela school of architecture prevailing in the 17th century A.D.


 


 


 

(269) Palki Mahal, Orchha

gwaliar-img134Situated opposite the Hardaul Baithka in Phoolbagh premises, the palace was built during the time of Maharaja Veer Singh (1625-1627 A.D.). The two-storeyed building is rectangular. On the ground floor there are rectangular rooms on both sides of the three-arched verandah. The stone pillars and palanquin-shaped roof were added at the time of construction of Hardaul Baithka in the later half of the 17th century A.D.) It is called Palki Mahal due to the large palanquin-shaped roof of the central hall.


 


 


 

(270) Panchamukhi Mahadev Temple, Orchha

gwaliar-img135The Panchamukhi Mahadev temple is surrounded by a strong enclosing wall. In addtion to the main temple there exist two other temples, which are similar in size and style. The ground plan of the temple consists of vedibandh, jangha and shikhar of Nagara style. On the basis of style the temple was built in the 17th century A.D. Although its shikhar is of Nagara style, the ashtabhadra shakhas and urushringar of Bhumij style represent a synthesis of styles. The synthesis started in Orchha at the time of Maharaja Veer Singh (1605-1627A.D.) On regional basis it can be considered a part of Bundela school of architecture.


 


 


 

(271) Haveli of Pandit Hariram Vyas, Orchha

gwaliar-img136Although the Haveli of Pandit Hariram Vyas is not very important from archaeological point of view, but it has historical importance. Pandit Hariram Vyas was born at this house in 1510 A.D., which shows that Vyaspura was in existence when Rudrapratap Singh built the fort in 1531 A.D.

The haveli has only one entrance gate, a rear verandah and a rectangular hall. A huge enclosing wall surrounded it, the foundation of which is still visible. The entranace gate was in the enclosing wall and its architectural features like arches, niches etc seem to be of the 15th centry A.D. On the flank there is a verandah with three pointed arches and a room. Pandit Chandrasakhi, the son of Pandit Hariram Vyas, was born at this house in 1585 A.D.

Pandit Hariram Vyas was a devotee of Krishna and followed Radha Vallabh sect. He was also the Rajguru of Maharaja Madhukar Shah.


 


 


 

*(272) Phoolbagh Mahal, Orchha

gwaliar-img137The palace was built by Maharaja Veer Singh Dev (1605-1627 A.D.) simultaneously with the construction of Phoolbagh. In the lower northern portion of the palace there is a mandapa towards Phoolbagh based on pillars. Beyond it there are mandapas based on two pillars in front of which there exists a stone fountain in the shape of a decorated bowl and other fountains in the garden. On the first floor the square room is crowned with a large dome. The an oriels and domes are of Bundela style. Near the basement stand aircooling pillars called Sawan Bhado. The holes of the pillars are meant for aircooling of the basement. The basement was used for escaping excessive heat.


 


 


 

x*(273

The 16th century A.D. palace is reported to have been built by Sone Shah, the cousin of Indrajit Singh. So it may be called the Palace of Sone Shah as well. At present it houses a Sanskrit school.

(276) Praveen Rai Palace, Orchha

gwaliar-img138The palace was built by Indrajit Singh the younger brother of Orchha’s ruler Maharaja Ramshah (1592-1605 A.D.) Raja Indrajir Singh was also the caretaker ruler. Praveen Rai was a famous dancer of Orchha’s royal court and was also a poetess, a singer and an expert rider. Mahakavi Keshavdas wrote “ Kavipriya” in praise of his disciple Praveen Rai. When Praveen Rai visited the Mughal Durbar on the invitation of Akbar, she greatly impressed the Mughal emperor by this book. Akbar sent her back to Orchha with due honour.

The two-storyed building was constructed in two phases. In the first phase the double spacious hallway and square rooms on both sides were built on the ground floor and a verandah and rooms were built on the first floor. This construction belongs to the 17th century A.D. in which the verandah, underground baradari, garden and eastern portion were built. The northern jharoka of Anand Mandal belongs to the first phase where Praveen Rai used to compose poems. The paintings of Praveen Rai and Indrajit Singh are typical of Bundela School of painting. The architecture of the palace represents feature of both Rajput and Bundela styles.


 


 


 

(280) Radhika Bihari Temple, Orchha

gwaliar-img139The east-facing temple was built by Orchha’s ruler Veer Singh Bundela (1605-1627 A.D.).The ground plan of the temple consists of garbha-griha, antaral and mandapa. The elevtion plan consists of vedibandh, jangha and shikhar of Nagara style. The mandapa has large trabeated domes. On the shikhar of the pancharathi garbha-griha each rath, anurath and konak portions have urushringars of Khajuraho style of temple architecture. The walls of square garbha-griha have arched an oriels and niches. The doorjambs of the entranced gate are made of stone. The lalat –bimbs of the entrance gate of the antaral and the garbha-griha are carved with images of Ganesha and the doorjambs are carved with images of Dwarpals. The mandapa is rectangular but at the center the ceiling of the square portin is dome-shaped. There are small chatris at all four corners with a shikhar of Nagaar style and at the center there are small dome-shaped chhatris based on four pillars. On the large dome in palce of a kalash there is a small chhatris supported by six pillars. The imposing temple is a fine example of Bundela School of temple architecture.


 


 


 

*(283) Kothi of Dauji, Orchha

gwaliar-img140The Kothi of Dauji is located to south of Jehangir palace. Its two-storeyed entrance gate is to north and inside it has two courtyards. The exterior of the entrance gate has decorated arches with a vertical row of lotus and nices on both sides. The roof of the entrance gate is gajprishthakar. The a balcony is based on stone todis and door jambs are made of red sandstone. The sirdal is embellished having lotus carving and elephant-shaped brackets.

Raiman Dau was a military officer and minister of Bundela kingdom. Probably, he was the son of Balwant Yadav with whose assistance Veer Singh killed Abul Fazal. He was succeeded by Shyam Dau and Dalal Dau as commander of Bundela army.


 


 


 

(284) Raja Mahal, Tikamgarh

gwaliar-img141Located to south of the fort the palace was built by Maharaja Pratap Singh in the later part of the 19th century A.D. This is called Darbar-e-Am also. This last palace built by the Bundela rulers is built in European style. In the exterior plan, the ground floor and gates, ventilator, oriels of the first floor all reflect shades of European style. The pillar lines are mostly of Ionic and Corinthian style. Stucco style has been adopted in the wall decoration of the interior.

This palace is under the possession of the former ruler of Tikamgarh.


 


 


 

(285) Shiva Temple (Math), Badagaon

gwaliar-img142Situated to southwest of Badagaon the east-facing temple is raised on a high platform. The ground plan of the Pancharathi temple consists of garbha-griha, antaral and mukhmandapa. The elevation plan consists of the plinth, jangha and shikhar. There are amalak and kalash on the top of the shikhar. The Bhadra and Karna portions of the jangha are decorated. The sanghats of the plinth have khur, kumbha, kalash, kapotika and pattika carved on them. The mukhmandapa is based on two pillars. Beyond antaral there is decorated entrance gate and square garbha-griha. The shikhar is of Nagara style.

On the basis of style the templeof be said to belong to the 11th century A.D.


 


 


 

*(287) Cave of Sidhha Baba, Orchha

gwaliar-img143Situated in northern corner of the fort’s rampart the east-facing building is made of bricks and lime. This is a three-storeyed building including the basement. Rectangular rooms are built on all sides of the square courtyard. Rooms on northern and southern sides is all but ruined. The rooms have short doors and cave like. Originally it was a ‘math’ inhabited by Sidhhas i.e. saints. The building is attributed to 16th century A.D.


 


 


 


 

(288) Sitamarhi Mahal, Orchha

gwaliar-img144Originally the palace seems to have been built in the later half of the 16th century A.D. The structure of the palace is “ L” shaped. Originally the palace was rectangular. The two-storyed palace has a spacious hall having rooms on both sides with a veranda in front. The second story has three gates and a palanquin-shaped roof. The upper portion was built in the 17th century A.D. The arches of the gates are painted, the roof is gajprishthakar and the brackets are in the shape of peahens. The lower portion is of Rajput style while the upper porion represents Bundela style.

The 16th century A.D. palace is reported to have been built by Sone Shah, the cousin of Indrajit Singh. So it may be called the Palace of Sone Shah as well. At present it houses a Sanskrit school.


 


 


 

(290) Surya Temple, Madhikhera

gwaliar-img145The Surya Temple was built by Pratihara rulers in the 19th century A.D. The east-facing temple is raised on a high platform. The ground plan consists of garbha-griha, antaral and mahamandapa based on two pillars. The elevation plan constists of plinth, wall portion, verandica and shikhar portion. The sides of the plinth are decorated with depiction of kumbha, khur, kumbha-kalasha and parnabandh pattikas. Ganesha, Kartikeya, Parvati and Sur Sundaris are carved in bhadra rathikas. In the bhadra pratibhadra and kodak rathas of the jangha portion the figures of Surya, Digpal, ten incarnations of Vishnu, saptamartikas, Ganesha and sur sundaries are carved. The shikhar is of Nagara style and its middle strip is decorated.

The entrance to the garbha-griha is based on udumbar, which is variedly embellished. The five door jambs are carved with figures of river goddesses. Surya occupies the lalat-bimb and the uttarang is carved with navagrahas and satamatrikas. The sthanak at the padpitha of the flank wall of the garbha-griha is occupied by a Surya idol.


 


 


 

**** Surya Temple, Umarai

gwaliar-img146The ground plan of the east-facing temple constists of garbha-griha, antaral and mukhmandapa based on two pillars. Built in Pancharathi scheme the elevation of this temple consists of the plinth, jangha, verandica and shikhar portion. At the top of the shikhar on the madhya lata exist chandrika, amal sarika and kalash structures. The madhya lata of the shikhar of Nagar style is decorated. The plinth has khur, kumbh, kalash, kapotika, parnabaandh pattika and kamal patra carved on it. The kumbh rathikas of bhadrabhag has figures of Varah, Narsingh and Krishna carved on them. Other kumbha rathikas have cariving of sur sundaris, but the southeastern parikarma has Lord Rama carved on it. The bhadra, pratibhadra and konak portions of the jangha are decorated having carvings of chaitya gawaksha, ghatpallava, sur sundaris, gajshardul and digpals. The pillars of mahamandapa are variously embellished. The entrance gate has five jambs with an udumbar carved below. The lalat-bimb has Surya and the uttarang has saptamatrikas along with Ganesha and Veerbhadra. Going by the style the temple is attributed to the 19th century A.D. This is a protected monument.


 


 


 

********** Sunder Shah Mahal, Orchha

gwaliar-img147The palace was built by Maharaja Prithvi Singh in 1742 A.D. Later, the shrines of Syed Peer and Zahar Peer were built. On the basis of style the rampart of the palace can be ascribed to 17th century A.D. It is said that Sunder Shah, born of a Muslim lover of Indramani, lived in this palace. The Muslim lover is said to be Aurangzeb's daughter Shahzadi Meharunnisa. After the death of Sunder Shah a tomb was built in this palace. Probably, the tomb was built during the reign of Maharaja Prithvi Singh. There is a huge Baradari over it. The tomb exists on a verandah of its southern wall, which was built after the tomb. The baradari served as the shed to the devotees coming to the tomb.

Bastions exist at all four corners of the rampart of the palace and the arches are painted. The residential portion is in a state of disrepair. Only the baradari of the tomb is in a good shape. The entire building is made of stone, bricks and lime.


 


 


 

*(291) Teen Dasion Ka Mahal, Orchha

gwaliar-img148Situated to north of the fort’s rampart the square-shaped palace seems to have been built in the 17th century A.D. The two-storeyed building is built on a square plan. Its square courtyard has rectangular verandahs on both sides of which there are square rooms crowned with domes. The southeast dome and the verandahs of south and north domes are now gone.

The building was used by Dasais or maids of the ruler of Orchha that is why it is called Dasion Ka Mahal and later Dasion Ki Samadhi.


 


 


 

*(292) Topchi Ka Makan, Orchha

gwaliar-img149Known as Topchi Ki Haveli, the kothi was built on a square plan with octagonal kiosks at all four corners capped with domes. Three of these kiosks are ruined and only one survives. It is said that once the topchi or gunman got angry with Maharaja Pahar Singh and violating the royal edit dared to open fire on the royal palace. On Pahar Singh's order this house was destroyed by a canon and the gunman was killed. The walls of the house are ruined. Only one tower remains.


 


 


 

*(294)-A Kothi of Shyam Daua, Orchha

gwaliar-img150The Kothis is situated on the way to Rai Praveen palace to north of Topkhana in the fort compound. They say that the Maharaja had deep regret when Raiman Daua committed suicide alongwith his family. Only one daughter-in-law of Dauji survived who was away in her parental home. The Majaraja had the pregnant daughter-in-law of Dauji brought to Orchha and built the Kothi for her. Probably, it happened at the time of Maharaja Veer Singh 1605-1627 A.D.) Shyam Daua was got killed in 1637 A.D. along with Jujhar Singh’s son Udaybhan in the baltle with Shahjehan. Shyam Daua was probably, the grandson of Raiman Daua.Legend hasit that Shyam Daua and Udaybhan refused to embrace Islam, so they were taken prisoners by the Mughal army in a battle. It is said that Shyam Daua’s wife committed sati. The descendents of this family still live at Orchha. The building is called Shyam Daua Ki Kothi.

Originally, the Kothi had two courtyards and its entrance gate has the depiction of bloomed lotus on both sides of the polygonal arch to the west. The roof of the three-storeyed entrance gate is palanquin- shaped. The ventilator on the upper two storyes are arched. The doorjambs are made of red stone having brackets in the shape of hanging logtus petals. The rooms around the courtyard of the hallway of the entrance gate are ruined. From this courtyard, a path leads to the northern courtyard with verandahs and rectangular rooms on three sides. There exists a well in the courtyard.


 


 


 

*(294)-b Kothi of Rasaldar, Orchha

gwaliar-img151Located to north of the Kothi of Shyam Daua the building is called Kothi of Rasaldar (head of the stable), with the stable adjoining it. From the style it can be attributed to the 17th century A.D. Its southern portions in a state of complete ruin. The northern portion consits of verandah and rectangular room and a basement below it.


 


 


 

(295) Oontkhana, Orchha

gwaliar-img152Built on a square plan on a high hillock behind Jehangir palace, the monument was originally a baradari built in the 16th century A.D. but in the later part of the 17th century A.D. a high corridor was built around it which has five arched gates each on every side. These corridors were used for keeping camels. The baradwari and the mandapa in the center are decorated. The hooks fixed in them might have been used for hanging swings.


 


 


 

(296) Vanvasi Ram Temple, Orchha

gwaliar-img153The temple was built by Maharaja Veer Singh Bundela (1605-1627 A.D.) The ground plan of the east-facing temple consists of garbha-griha and antaral. The walls of the square garbha-griha have arched oriels. There is ventilator on the oriels on northern and southern walls. At the center there is Dev Kakshasana, which was occupied by an idol of Vanvasi Rama. This idol is now enshrined in the Ram Raja temple by the same name. The antaral is rectangular. The extesior plan consists of vedibandh in ashtabhadra style, jangha and shikhar of Nagara style. Above it there are urushringars. The top of the shikhar has amalak and padma kalash.


 


 


 

*(297) Yajnashala, Orchha

gwaliar-img154The monument is situated in northern corner of the fort’s rampart with a square compound wall on all four sides. The monument ha arched gates on all four sides. It is crowned with a high dome-shaped ceiling, ventilator and a huge dome. There exist small chhatris at all four corners of the dome and in the center outside the ventilator there are structures of pillars and oriels. The ceiling is carved with images of Ganesha, Kartikeya, Hanuman, Shiva, Nandi etc.


 


 


 

****** ( ) Shish Mahal, Orchha

gwaliar-img155The palace was built by Orchha’s ruler Maharaja Udot Singh in 1763 V.S. (1706 A.D.). It is fitted with ornamented colour glasses and tiles, hence it is called Shish Mahal.The two-storyed building is rectangular with a spacious hall based on pillars and rooms on both sides. There are beautiful an oriels on the rooms to west on the second story having palanquin-shaped roofs. While the beautiful jharokhas are of Rajput style the ornamented an oriels of Bundela style add to the splendidness of the top portion of the palace. At present the palace houses a hotel of the M.P.State Tourism Development Corporation.


 


 


 

(301) Sunder Shah Mahal, Orchha

gwaliar-img156The palace was built by Maharaja Prithvi Singh in 1742 A.D. Later, the shrines of Syed Peer and Zahar Peer were built. On the basis of style the rampart of the palace can be ascribed to 17th century A.D. It is said that Sunder Shah, born of a Muslim lover of Indramani, lived in this palace. The Muslim lover is said to be Aurangzeb's daughter Shahzadi Meharunnisa. After the death of Sunder Shah a tomb was built in this palace. Probably, the tomb was built during the reign of Maharaja Prithvi Singh. There is a huge Baradari over it. The tomb exists on a verandah of its southern wall, which was built after the tomb. The baradari served as the shed to the devotees coming to the tomb.

Bastions exist at all four corners of the rampart of the palace and the arches are painted. The residential portion is in a state of disrepair. Only the baradari of the tomb is in a good shape. The entire building is made of stone, bricks and lime.


 


 


 

(302) Surya Temple, Umarai

gwaliar-img157The ground plan of the east-facing temple constists of garbha-griha, antaral and mukhmandapa based on two pillars. Built in Pancharathi scheme the elevation of this temple consists of the plinth, jangha, verandica and shikhar portion. At the top of the shikhar on the madhya lata exist chandrika, amal sarika and kalash structures. The madhya lata of the shikhar of Nagar style is decorated. The plinth has khur, kumbh, kalash, kapotika, parnabaandh pattika and kamal patra carved on it. The kumbh rathikas of bhadrabhag has figures of Varah, Narsingh and Krishna carved on them. Other kumbha rathikas have cariving of sur sundaris, but the southeastern parikarma has Lord Rama carved on it. The bhadra, pratibhadra and konak portions of the jangha are decorated having carvings of chaitya gawaksha, ghatpallava, sur sundaris, gajshardul and digpals. The pillars of mahamandapa are variously embellished. The entrance gate has five jambs with an udumbar carved below. The lalat-bimb has Surya and the uttarang has saptamatrikas along with Ganesha and Veerbhadra. Going by the style the temple is attributed to the 19th century A.D. This is a protected monument.


 


 


 

(303) Fort, Baldevgarh

gwaliar-img158Baldevgarh was called Banda during Chandella period. Orchha's ruler Vikramjit Singh built this fort to house the armoury and store ammunition. He built a temple dedicated to Baldauji on the hilltop of Swal Sagar and named the fort as Baldevgarh. Built in the 18th century A.D. the enormous fort consits of Deewan Khana, Rani Mahal, Rani Ghat, Alhammanda, Hamman of Rani Mahal and large arched gateways. Bastions are built at certain distances in the exterior and interior walls. Cannons used to be kept on them. The Garbha Giravan and Bhawani Shankar cannons of the fort are very famous which are still kept in the fort. There is a tank on three sides of the rampart of the fort and on the fourth side there is a hill and forestland. Half portion of the fort is in a good condition and the other half is all but ruined. It was an important fort of the Bundelas.