(369) Chhatri, Afzalpur
The Chhatri is built on a high platform approached by steps. The edges of the platform are decorated. There exists a hexagonal structure of Chhatri supported by pillars in the middle of the platform. The pillars are made of stone but bricks and lime were used in the dome. On the basis of style the Chhatri belongs to 19th century.
(370) Doodheshwar Mahadev Temple, Chirmolia
Popularly known as Doodheshwar Mahadev, this Shiva temple originally belongs to 13th century but after collapse it was renovated in around 17-18th century A.D. The plan of this east facing temple consists of garbha-griha, antaral, mandapa and mukhmandapa. The garbha-griha is square where idols of Maratha period are installed.
(371) Fort of Hinglajgarh, Hinglajgarh
Hinglajgarh, is located at a distance of 160 km from Mandsaur and about 30 km from Bhanpura tahsil.
The world of art is not unaware of the artistic wealth of Hinglajgargh which is located on the plataue of Navali. The images recovered from Hinglajgarh have left its lasting impression not only in India but in all Indian festivals organized in different counties of the world. The image of the Nandi represented the art in the French festival and in the Art Gallery of Washingaton, the Umamahashwar, Nandi & Chamunda were the centre of attraction.
Hinglajgarh was a large fort city in the 10th-11the century where the idols of Shaiv, Shakt, Vaishnava & Jaina sects were made in an exclusive style.
More then 500 artistic & attractive idols recovered from Hinglajgarh are exhibit the glory of the past by becoming cultural heritage of the museum of Indore, Bhopal & Bhanpura. Unfortunately, presently there is no presereved monument at Hinglajgarh except this fort. The travails time has destroyed large parts of the monument and they are found scattered in grassland & bushes in the form of pebbles and stones. These remains testify to the fact that this city in this valley of Hinglajagrh, remained the hub of the craftsmen of Malwa for about 800 years for the oldest pieces of art recoverd form this place belongs to the 4th-5th century. Hinglajgarh has yielded valuble images belonging to the Gupta, post Gupta, Aulikar, Pratihara, Rashtrakuta & Paramara period. It seems that the architect of Dashpura tried to give a heavenly beauty to the art of sculpture by engraving the live images of god & goddesses on the dead stone. According to R.S. Garg, the idols of Veenadhar Natesh Shiva and the Umamahashwara are the master pieces of Malwa art. Some are similar to the masterpieces of medieval Indian art.
The architects of Dashpur by incorporating the Gupta as well as the Parmara style of art gave birth to a new style of art known as the style of Hinglajgarh. The main feature of this style are round face, prominent chin, sharp eyebrows, nose & eyelash. Hinglajgarh derives it name from goddess Hinglaj, a goddess of the Rajputs. The fort is situated at an altitude of 554 m abone sea-level and the ramparts have 4 gates namely Patan Pol, Surat Pol, Kotra Pol and Mandesari Pol. Inside the fort is a baori. On one of its bastions named Fatehpuri is an old gun which is said to have placed by Yashwant Rao Holkar himself. The building inside the fort include small Burz, Big Burz, Hinglajmata temple, Surajkund and Rani Mahal.
(372) Laxmi Narayan Temple, Afzalpur
The Laxmi Narayan temple is traced to Paramara period but after its destruction in the wake of invasion of sultans of Malwa it was renovated in about 18th century. The temple is situated on a high platform. Its plan consists of garbha-griha, antral and mandapa. The garbha-griha is square where modern idols of Vishnu and Laxmi are installed. There is a mandapa supported by twelve pillars beyond the antaral. The shikhar on the garbha-griha is of Nagar style. Lime and bricks are used in it.
(373) Suraj Temple, Khilchipura
The temple is not in its original shape. It was given the present shape after renovation in 18-19th century. Temple is rectangular. It has entrance gate in wider portion. Originally it is the mandapa of the temple, it has 6 pillars. An image of Ganesha is carved on the lalat bimb of the sirdal on the entrance, which seems to have been added at the time of renovation. Its doorjambs belong to the ancient temple. This original temple belongs to 10-11th century A.D.
(374) Toran Warda Ghasoi
Toran means pillar and warda means hillock, so this pillared hillock is locally known as toran warda. Once there existed four jain pillars of Paramara period, but now only top portion of the pillars is available. These pillars are square and their tops are round. Below it the footmarks of Tirthankaras are carved in the rathika on the square portion. An inscription is engraved in danda portion below the Tirthankars. These pillars seem to have been installed in memory of Jain Monks and are dated to around 13th century A.D.
(375) Varah Temple, Kanvala
The village of Kanvala is about 145km form Mandsaur and about 11km from Bhanpura near Sojalpur village. Its ancient name was Kamalpur. Varah temple, Chaturbhuj temple, Laxmikant temple and Jain temple are precious assets of this village. Amongst all the Varah temples it is the most important and attractive one. Built in the Bhumij style, this temple is believed to have been built during the Paramara age. The mandapa of the temple is extremely artistic and only this mandapa is in form of original temple before us. The garbha-griha and the shikhar of the temple were re-built about a century ago. There are twelve cornered decorated pillars in the mandapa. These pillars are hexagonal on its lower part and octagonal on its upper part. Kirtimukhas are carved on the top of the pillars. The garbha-griha of the temple had a beautiful image of Varah now in the state museum, Bhopal. The image has four hands holding earth, conch and garland in three of them and the fourth hand is towards the lower side. The right foot is on the back of a turtle. There are other attractive images of Vishnu and its incarnations in the temple compound.
(376) Garhi of Thakur Chaman Singh, Achera
The Fortress is now in a state of ruins. Its builder Thakur Chaman Singh was a Yadavvanshi Bhati Jagirdar. The construction of the imposing fortress started in Samvat 1803 1746 A.D. and completed in Samvat 1826 (1759 A.D). The fortress was built of lime, bricks, red and white stone. It was built for residential purpose as well as for strategic reasons. The main entrance gate is east facing and very strong.
(378) Buddhist Caves, Pola Dungar
Pola Dunger has presereved the memories of the Buddhist religion in Dashpur region in its caves. This is 128 km from Mandsour and 20 km from Garoth on Garoth-Boliya road. There is a small hill (dungar) which has been made hollow (pola) by the architects in their effort to construct caves. That is how it derives its name Pola Dungar meaning hollow hill.
These caves were made of red stone during 9th-10th century A.D. It seems they belonged to the Hinayana sect as they are totally devoid of the images of the Buddha. Initially there were about 100 small & big caves over here, however, due to the bolt of time and nature only few of these have survived. Most of these caves were used as viharas. Only few caves are in form of a chaitya. The main entrance is called Surajpol. Inside the chaitya there is a Stupa having a square base of 3 meter, circumference 2.40 meter and height is 4.20 meter. After Maharashtra only this region has the largest number of Buddhist caves. To those interested in this subject other sites are also worth seeing such as – Dharmrajeshwar, Dhanakhedi, Ganeshmagra, Khejaria-Bhoop, Ghasoi, Kholvi, Vinayaga etc.
(379) Rock Paintings, Bhanpura
There are rock-paintings recoverd around Bhanpura which present a glimpse of the life of pre-historic man. The rock paintings have its own palce amongst the rock paintings of the world and were studied by scholars like Dr. Lothar Banke from Austria and Dr. E.O. Tilnar from Switzerland in 1977. First of all Dr. Wakankar helped getting these painting world recongnition.
The following paintings are of great importance Indragarh, Sitakharri, Katiria Kund, Billi-khoha, Jhita-khoha, Gevasahab, Ramkund, Ramgarh, Modipurva, Modiuttar, Khalki, Kanwala uttar, Kanwala Daxin, Sujanpura, Malaseri, Khilchipura, Golambanala, Gandhisagar-3, Gandhisagar-6, Chaturbhujnath, Chibbarnala, Takhaji, Hinglajgarh, Harigarh, Chavariyandeha, NarsinghJhar, Dantla, Aria, Naharsing etc.
Apart from rock paintings, there are many attractive sites full of natural beauty around Bhanpura, such as – Bandrakar, Ramkund, Fayakund, Kanekeshwar Mahadeva etc. The forests and waterfalls of this area are very attractive.
(380) The Chhatri of Yashwantrao Holkar, Bhanpura
Located at a distance of 134 km from Mandsaur, Bhanpura tahsil is worth seeing because of its archaeological wealth, rock paintings and Maratha architecture. Settled on the bank of the Rewa this glorious township has an ancient cultural heritage. Having been the playground of the prehistoric man there are varied opinions about its nomenclature. According to Dr. Wakankar it was named after the Rashtrakuta king Bhaman, the father of this famous Rashtrakuta of the Rashtrakuta king Gannappa. The remains of the Rashtrakuta sculptures and an inscription mentioning Bhanpur have been recoverd from this area. Probably this Bhamanpur became Bhanpura after some time.
Amongst the prominent sites of Bhanpura the chhatri of Yashwantrao Holkar is the best specimen of the Maratha architecture. Surrounded by high walls it seams like a fort. There are valleculars to enable gun-fire and turrets on this walls. Built in a large campus, the chhatri has in its garbh-griha a marbal statue of Maharaja Yashwantrao Holkar with a diamond in its beard. The outer side of the chhatri is built in a beautiful manner. The shikhar, built in Panchratha plan has amlak which has five pitchers (kalash) on it. At the end of the varandah on the left side of the chhatri, there is a way to basement which has many big & small rooms and the only pillar on which the whole chhatri is rested. The construction of the chhatri began in 1812 and ended in 1818.
The chhatri was built at a place where Yashwantrao Holkar was creamated in 1811. He was the son of Tukojirao Holkar. Brave & patriotic, Yashwantrao wanted to oust the Britisth rule from India. So he organized a big force/army and started cannon factories at Naveli and Indragarh the remains of which are still there.
*(382) Garhi, Antraliya
This village is located on Bhapura-Garoth road. There are ruins of a big fortress of the Chandravat dynasty. Here, there is a fort wall, a rampart and a palace like monument which has a chhatri on its upper dome. There is a ruined temple on the southern side of this monument which might have been built about 200-250 years ago. However, its mandapa and the branches of the entrance to the garbha-griha are of post – Gupta or early Pratihara style. Above the entrance there is an image of Lakulish and on the lower side there are statues of kalash holding Ganga, Yamuna and doorkeepers (dwarpala). The branches of the doors of this temple are examples of significant artistic creations of this region.
(384) Jain Temple, Kanvala
Jain temple is near the Laxminath temple which is known as the Sas-Bahu temple among the villagers. The dome of this temple is quite similar to that of the monument of Mandu. This might have been built around 16th-17th century. The pillar-gates of this temple are worth seeing.
There is a beautiful temple inside the village called Laxminarayana temple in the garbha-griha of which an artistic image of Vishnu is enshrined. A considerable part of the temple is re-built. There is an attractive image of the Nandi in the middle of the mandapa.
(385) Laxminarayan Temple, Nimthur
The main entrance of this temple is on the east direction. Constructed in Bhoomij style on a high platform, the lateral plan of this temple has adhisthan, jangha & shikhar and the vertical plan has ardhmandapa, mandapa, antaral & garbh-griha as its main parts. The help of stairs is needed to reach the ardhamandapa rested on two decorated pillars which has images of serpentine creepers and gods and goddesses engraved on it. The mandapa is rectangualar but first it is octagonal, then 16 cornered and them circular which have many divine images engraved on it. On the center of the lalatbimba of the garbha-griha there is a Tirthankar in meditation. On both sides of the door branches, divine image have been engraved. There is a river goddess engraved on the lower side. On the outer part of the temple, above the jangha with moulding, there is a shikhar in panchrathi plan in Nagar style. Though the original temple is of the Paramara period, all the idols have coats of modern painting. There is a bawadi constructed by the Chandravat kings infront of the temple.
(387) Chaturbhuj Temple, Kanvala
L ocated at the end of the Kanvala village, the Chaturbhuj temple is the best amongst all the preserved monuments of Malwa region. In the Indore gazetteer and other books, this is called as Laxminarayana temple but as a matter of fact this is Chaturbhuj temple. Built in the Bhumij style, the shikhar of this temple is built like the rekha-shikhar of the temple of Orissa. Its shikhar is akin to the shikhar of the Mahakaleshwar temple of ‘Ujjain’. The mandapa of the temple is square with 18 pillars on which a dome in rested and 8 of which have images of Vaman engraved on them. Some pillars are well decorated. There are statues of Ganesh & Brahma too inside this temple compound. A large part of the temple has been re-built.