Directorate of Archaeology, Archives and Museums

Government of Madhya Pradesh


(307) Akbari Sarai, Burhanpur

burhanpor-img1This sarai was built during the reign of the Mughal emperor Jehangir. Sir Thomas Row, ambassador of the british emperor James. I stayed in this sarai during the period of Jehangir. At that time Jehangir was present in the royal Fort.

Main door of the sarai is about 30 ft. high. It is made up of black stone. An inscription in Persian language on its top depicts that this sarai was built in Hizri 1027 by one subedar under the supervision of Lashkar Khan, manager of construction department. The sarai has 110 rooms.

(309) Grave of Beghum Mumtaj, Zainabad

burhanpor-img2One to the troubled circumstares in the south and also because Khanjahan Lodhi ran away form Agra, Shah Jahan had to go to the south. He reached Burhanpur on 1st march 1630 and conducted military operation against Bijapur, Ahmadnagar and Golkunda for two years from there. His beloved queen Mumtaz Mahal died on 7th June 1631 and she was buried on the other side of the river Tapti.

There are two rooms in the middle of the boundary wall. There is a vacant spot in between these two rooms, it is said that Mumtaz Mahal was kept in this place.

It is generally believed that the tomb of Mumtaz Mahal was here instead of ‘Ahukhana’. The row of niches to keep earthen lamps in the boundary wall, confirm this fact.

It has been mentained is ‘Shahnama’ writter by Devi Prasad that the body of the begum was kept is the Jainabad garden near the bank of the Tapti river and the emperor used to go to her tomb on every friday. These facts also lend cerdence to the belief that this building was the tomb of Mumtaz Mahal.

A path led down wards which had on arched entrance, now covered with mud. Mumtaz’s body was kept here for 6 months. In both the room the maulvis and the Pandits chantded religious verses for 6 months.

Built with brick and stone both the rooms have arched entrances. The outer wall has been decorated with floral designs. It has niches to keep lamps at all four sides, the boundary wall built with brick and lime has many niches. A mosque belonging to the same period is locoted near the tomb and there is water tank between the tomb and the mosque.

(310) Tomb of Daulat Khan Lodhi, Burhanpur

burhanpor-img3Daulat Khan Lodhi had helped Mughal emperor Shah Jahan is his compains to conquer southern India. Pleased with his valour the Mughal emperor had appointed had appointed him the Subedar of Burhanpur.


This tomb has a huge boundry wall built with bricks and lime. The arched entrance doors on all four sides of the tomb has flower decoration. The tomb has a dome. It has 8 Mazars in side of Daulat Khan Lodhi and his family members. It has a maszid behind it. The entrance door way of the maszid has two long minarets on both sides. It’s is amixture of Mughal style and the unique architecture of Burhanpur.

(311) Moti Mahal, Asirgarh

burhanpor-img4The monument is located on the bank of Pondhari river to the south-east of village Moti Mahal. The lower portion of the two-storeyed palace is made of stones. One of the lawns has the grave of Shahjehan’s lover Moti Beghum.

The second story of the palace is made of bricks and lime with a flight of steps to reach there. Chhajjas are built in north-south portion on the second story. There is a courtyard in the center with rooms built on both sides. The top portion of the palace is dome-shaped with an inverted lotus figure built on it. The architecture of the palace represents an amalgamation of Mughal-Rajput styles.

(312) Palace of Raja Rao ratan, Ratanpura

burhanpor-img5During the period of emperor Jehangir Raja Raoratan of Chouhan Hata dynasty ruled Bundi. Shahjada Khurram revolted against Jehangir in Deccan and Raja Raoratan was sent to suppress it. A battle ensued in which Khurram was defeated. A pleased Jehangir appointed him the ruler of Burhanpur.

Raja Raoratan built this palace in the 17th century A.D. It lies in Rajputana Kasba (Burhanpur). He founded a sub-town and named it Ratanpura. He also built temples and palaces.

The first floor of the two-storeyed palace has three rooms and the second story has two rooms. Made of bricks, lime and mortar the wall of the palace has a number of niches. The palace is a typical example of Mughal-Rajput-Maratha style of synthesis architecture.

The Palace has been recently taken over by the State Archaeology and restoration work is in progress.

(313) Tomb of Parvez, Burhanpur

burhanpor-img6Prince Parvez was the son of Mughal emperor Jehangir, who was sent to Burhanpur as Governor in 1610 A.D. Mahawat Khan was appointed his patron. In 1626 A.D. Mahawat Khan was replaced by Khan Jehan Lodhi. Prince Parvez died after some time. He was buried at Burhanpur itself and the tomb was built in his memory.

Made of bricks, mortar and lime the tomb is rectangular. Its entrance gate is arched. The interior portion has the grave of Prince Parvez. It is surmounted by a round dome. Ruins of small minarets exist on all corners of the damaged tomb. At present there is a wild growth around the dome portion but it has been recently taken over by State Archaeology and restoration is in progress.

*(314) Ghosiwada Ki Sarai & Mosque, Zainabad

burhanpor-img7Nasirudding Faruqui founded Zainabad town in memory of his spiritual preceptor Sufi saint Zainuddin Siraji. The sarai (inn) here was built by Razi Ali Khan. The Sarai consisted of 70 rooms. The tomb of Sufi saint Hazrat Peershah Chishti Quadari is also situated to the west of the sarai. Behind it exists a ruined mosque having 60-62 feet high minarets. Built by Faruqui rulers the sarai has gates decorated with beautiful painted arches. The Tars and kahas on its exterior wall are also decorated. The building is protected and is being restored by the State Archaeology department.

(315) Khooni Bhandara, Burhanpur

burhanpor-img8Mughal emperor Jehangir’s Subedar Abdul Raheem Khan-e-Khana knew of the underground water sources flowing from Satpura hills towards Tapti river. He stopped these sources at three points in 1615 A.D., which are known as Mool (Khooni) Bhandara, Sukha Bhandara and Chintaharan Bhandara, respectively. These sources supplied pure water to the city and the religious places. For this, vayu koop kundis were built of bricks and lime. Water was carried to the kund at Shaniwara Gate of Burhanpur city through a pipeline of backed clay. Water from Mool Bhandara ws supplied to the palace and to the central point of the city through an about 13,000 feet long tunnel way having many vayu koops. In 1890 A.D. the pipes carrying water from Khooni Bhandara and Sookha Bhandara was replaced by a cast iron pipeline.

Water from Khooni Bhandara was brought to the fort through about 100 Kundis situated here. All the wells are inter-connected by a canal. The wells are about 80 feet deep. The vauy koops still exist. This is a unique water supply system of the world, which is great attraction for the international tourists. The management of water scheme has been under the Burhanpur municipality since 1922 A.D.